Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Courthouse vigilantes

I had to go to the courthouse today to get some paperwork. When I got there, there was about 10 people in line behind the only open window. I got behind them and waited. When I was the third in line, another window opened. The lady in front of me went to the other window and I stayed where I was. She asked me if the person behind the counter didn't open the window before the lady in front of me was done, would I let her back in front of me. Of course, I'm not a bitch.

The window opened up in time and the people behind me decided to alternate every other person in line to go to the other window. So, the lady behind me walks over to the other window when a girl walked in the door and got behind her, walking past the now more than 25 people in line behind me.

All hell broke loose.

Several people behind me told the girl she couldn't get in that line because we had all been waiting a long time and she just got here. She stood her ground. A man got in front of her. She moved out of the way but asked what everybody's problem was. A lady tried to explain to her that everyone was angry because she just walked through the door and got in the shortest line.

She said, "What-EHVA lady. Don't talk to me."

No one tried to explain anything to her again. What they did was talk about her.

An elderly lady said, to no one in particular, "It's rude when someone just walks in the door and cuts in line in front of everyone. They should wait their turn. They wouldn't like it if someone did that to them."

Other comments followed.

She didn't say anything when more people began getting in front of her. I had a smile on my face. It's nice when rude people get put in their place. Too bad it doesn't happen more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home