Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Ho May Shi Ro?

I ordered Chinese the other day from a little place on the way home from the gym. Usually the people there are very nice but the girl at the counter had a bad day, I guess.

I ordered a shrimp roll, crab rangoons, and an egg drop soup.

"Ho may shi ro?"
"What?"
"Ho may shi ro!?"
"What!?"
"HO MAY SHI RO!?"
"Oh. How many shrimp rolls?"
Nods head.
"Just one."

She told me the total, I gave her the money and she grabbed it out of my hand. Then she basically threw the change at me. I sat down and waited for the food.

"YOU!"

I look up. She's pointing at me. Then she points at the food. I go get it and look in the bag to make sure everything else is there.

"Thank you."
She throws her hand up at me and I leave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News of the MIL

MIL called the restaurant yesterday.

Me: "La Zona Rosa, may I help you?"
MIL: "Yes. Someone call me from this number?"
Me: "No, I don't think so." I had the phone all night and I hadn't seen anyone call her. Anyway, Jose was gone.
"This number was in my phone that's why I call back."
"I don't know. It wasn't me and I don't think anyone else did."
"Ok. Thank you ma'am. Bye bye."
"Bye."

That was weird enough. I think she knows the name of our restaurant, so she should have known where she was calling when I answered the phone. And there's only two people there who would ever call her. And it would more than likely be Jose. And she knows I work at the register where the phone is, so why would she call me ma'am? I guess she's going to act like she's never met me. That's fine with me, I guess, but very strange. But why am I surprised? If something can be weird, she knows how to do it.

Now the really strange part. I asked Jose if he called her. He didn't. The only other person who may have called her was Sam. She said she didn't. Hmmm.

I wonder if she's going to start her weird phone antics again. Maybe she's going to start calling the restaurant and saying weird things when I answer. It was last summer that she called our house all the time to ask for Jose when she knew he had just left or to tell me stupid things, like telling me that Jose had just called her when he hadn't.

The good thing is that if someone else is nearby I don't have to answer the phone. And if I don't answer the phone when she calls, she'll get bored and stop calling. I know she doesn't call to talk to Jose. She never calls him first unless she wants something. She has to find any way she can to try to annoy me and remind me that I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like her and that she has so many friends. Even if they're only in her head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home